How IT Companies Use Web Development Technologies - 2022 Survey
In the tech industry, web development is the segment that progresses at a fast speed. It is a competitive environment where developers shift technology trends and vice-versa. The winner in every topic related to web development is often the one that delivers the best results for companies, developers, and end-users.
To draw the line of S1 2022 for web development technologies, TechBehemoths surveyed 912 IT Companies and Web Agencies across 49 countries. The study is based on answers between July 12-24, 2022 with one major goal: to identify which web development technologies IT companies use in 2022.
Background Information: Survey Respondents
The survey was conducted in a transparent manner where all respondents had the same answers and options to respond to, as well as the right to add their own option for all questions in case it was different from the initial choices. At the same time, the survey release will provide background information about the surveyed companies following the transparency principle that TechBehemoths has always been guided by.
Survey Respondents: Geographical Distribution
The survey was not limited to any geographical region or country and its main target was the global community of IT companies and web agencies that specialized in web development services. As such, survey respondents come from 912 different companies located in 49 countries across the globe.
The majority of respondents come from Europe, followed by Asia and North America. Australia, South America, and Africa come in the last position by the number of respondents.
Survey Respondents: Role In The Company
Out of the total number of respondents, 36.1% are Chief Executives which makes them the largest group in this survey. 22.9% of the respondents are IT company founders, and 18.1% of the respondents are Chief Technology Officers. At the same time, 16.9% of the respondent companies delegated a senior web developer to take part in the survey, and 6% of the respondents are Chief Operating Officers.
Survey respondents: Company Size
The survey covered a near-to-equal distribution of companies by size. In this way, 23.7% of the respondents were coming from companies with 2-9 employees, while 30.7% of the respondents represented companies with 10-20 employees. Also, between 20-50 employees answered 22.8% of the entire pool, and the same amount of respondents came from companies with more than 50 employees.
What Programming Languages IT Companies Use
Programming languages are one of the core components of web development. Based on this fact, during the survey, the respondents were asked to answer what programming languages their company uses most.
The chart shows three different segments of programming languages:
Above 30% - Java, TypeScript, Python, C#
Below 20% - Ruby, Go, Dart, Kotlin, Rust
Anna Gerish from JayDevs, Lithuania mentioned in this regard that “We see a huge demand on the entire JS stack (ReactJS, NodeJS especially). Java is also very popular”. It is yet very interesting to follow if the market demand for Java will grow in 2023.
So, 2023 will probably come with some changes for web development programming languages. Considering the pace technologies develop we could no longer see some programming languages in this chart next year. But there’s the same chance to see some switched positions between the options here.
What Frameworks and Libraries IT Companies Use
When it comes to Frameworks and libraries IT companies use, the survey respondents declared their preference for React.Js in the first place - 75.4% of all IT companies. According to the survey results, React is followed by jQuery with 67.5% of responses.
Laravel, Angular, and Vue share the 3-5 positions in the top of preferences, each with more than 50% of the votes as they close the second large segment by popularity.
ASP.Net is the only framework that stands in the ~30% segment, while Django, Express.Js, ASP.Net Core and Symfony are each used by more than 20% of IT companies. Spring, FastAPI, Gatsby, Flask & Svelte close the top with 2-12% of survey responses.
Just like in the case of programming languages, the usage of Frameworks and libraries can also be split between segments of preferences which are also visible in the chart below:
On top of the numbers, Andrey Pankov from Twelvedevs, Poland, mentions that in 2023 React, Vue, and Angular will continue to rule: “React, Vue, and Angular web development technologies are in high demand. For content management, it is increasingly common to use serverless and headless CMS. We see how PWAs strengthen their position and how AI & ML technologies are increasingly being used in web solutions development”
The statement is supported by other leaders as well, as PWA is one of the most anticipated trends in 2023, even though PWA is no newcomer.
“Mobile first is now, PWA is next!” said Saadulla Darwesh from Suncode, Iraq. The truth is, that Mobile first is here for a while, and we’re not sure if PWA comes as a replacing trend or a complementary trend in the first place.
Other Technologies & CMS IT Companies Use
Besides the already mentioned frameworks and libraries as well as programming languages mentioned above, the survey respondents had to select from a series of other technologies & CMS, which one do they use for projects or internally.
The results show that 73.7% of the respondents develop web projects on WordPress, which confirms that ~49% of all websites on the web are built on WordPress. On the other hand, Drupal is used by 27.2% of respondents.
According to the survey, the most popular technology used by IT companies from the given options is React Native - 56.1%. Second, comes Flutter with 44.7%, and third is the .NET stack (39.5%).
The least popular technologies proved to be Torch/PyTorch, Keras, and QT with an under 3% score each.
What Databases/Storage Options do IT Companies Use?
When asked about Database/Storage Options, the vast majority of IT companies declared that MySQL is on top of their preferences (94.7%). MongoDB is the second in their preferences but far behind the leader with only 48% of the respondents using it. PostgreSQL and Firebase split the third and fourth places with 43% and 41% respectively. At the end of the line, there is Oracle, Redis, and MariaDB with a preferred range between 13.2% - 25.4%
What Tools IT Companies Use in Web Development
Great products are built using great technologies, and we’ve covered many of them above, but good tools also play a major role, and choosing the right ones can make the development experience a joy! Used by companies for testing environments, project deployment, or platform development they are all an integral part of web development processes. The survey identified the top tools that web developers use, and here are the results:
As the survey shows, most IT companies use Git - at a rate of 89.2%. Docker is used by 55.3% and takes second place in the tool's preferences of web developers. Kubernetes closes the top 3 with 30.7% of responses in its favor.
Deno, Chef, and Puppet are the least used tools by web development companies according to the survey. Each of them has under 5% of responses.
What IDE/SDE IT Companies Use
When it comes to web development environments, the survey respondents had balanced preferences for several options offered. In this way, there are 4 IDE/SDE that are used by more than 40 % of web development companies:
VS Code - used by 53.5%
Android Studio - 48.2%
Visual Studio - 47.4%
Notepad++ - 41%
The segment of IDE/SDE below 40% are the following
PHP Storm - 35.1%
XCode - 34.2%
Sublime Test - 27.1%
Eclipse - 21.9%
At the same time, NetBeans, Webstorm, Atom, Jupiter and PyCharm are used by less than 15% of web development companies according to the survey. Here are the full results:
What Hosting Options IT Companies Use
Another topic touched on during the survey was hosting. All 912 participants cast their vote in favor of one or multiple hosting options. As the survey result show, the majority of IT companies use AWS hosting (66.7% or ⅔ of respondents). Not too far behind are dedicated hosting services - 60.5% of the respondents host their projects on dedicated servers.
Shared hosting still enjoys a large share of respondents, having more than 50% keeping their projects on shared servers. Also, the survey respondents declared that 43% host their projects on VPS, 42.1% on Azure, and 41.2% use Google Cloud services.
Predictions for 2023: Web Development & Business Processes
As the survey participants were representatives of IT companies and agencies providing web development services at a professional level worldwide or regionally, we asked about their opinion on web development trends in 2023. The survey collected interesting opinions, some of which were contextually presented above.
However, since more statements lead to the same trend predictions, we are happy to share the views and thoughts of web development companies about 2023 industry trends:
“Development technologies and trends will continue to grow at an amazing rate. Tools that value user experience, usability and collaboration will come out ahead.” - Selwyn Uy, CEO at i4 Asia Inc, Philippines
“Trends and frameworks move so quickly, it is very challenging to become proficient in a set of tools or frameworks and use them for a long time...continually delivering value when so often changing tools and approach is a major issue in the web development community.” - Sean O’Neill, Founder of MARSWorks, Canada
"We'll see more growth towards multi-channel synchronicity where all channels are operating like a symphony orchestra. Customers won't have to use just one form of communication at a certain time of day but be connected when they need to make a purchase." - Chad Alexander, Growth Driven Design Engineer at Story Collaborative, USA
More and more, clients are seeking more refined and effective user experiences and journeys to achieve business objectives. This is driving automation and intelligent front-end design and interaction to make the users' experience as understandable and seamless as possible. - Darren, Web Team Lead at The Creative Collective, Australia
"2023 is going to offer immense opportunities to companies that are quick in adapting to new technologies. Blockchain, AI, and VR are some of the areas to focus on." - Rajesh Roy, CEO at Bluwebmedia IT Services Pvt. Ltd., India
"According to web development trends, in 2023. all IT companies will lack quality experts even more than now" - Nenad Nešić, Business Developer at AVS Solutions, Serbia
"Every year there are new directions in web design. However, the most important thing is to find the "golden mean". We should be aware of how diverse society is and know who we want to reach with our offer and message.
In this pursuit of modernity, we must not forget that among the audience there are people with disabilities or disorders, for whom the virtual world can create a barrier. Therefore, web developers should do everything to make it easier for them. The most important thing is to stick to the principle: of functionality, readability, and loading speed". - Łukasz Szymańsk, Head of Marketing & PR at Ideo Software, Poland
"Probably the trend for the next year still will be artificial intelligence, machine learning, and Big DATA". - Dmitry Sergienko CEO at Betlace, Ukraine
"Demand for better integration between the business systems and demand for data analytics skills will grow even further in 2023". - Brian Wamiori, Tech Director at Digital 4 Africa, Kenya
"We believe that React will continue to be the dominant framework used in projects, pushing out Angular and Vue completely from the picture". - Kenneth Metral, CEO at Cosmico Studios, USA
"Technology continues to evolve as humans find new ways to innovate, doing things faster and with more flair than they did before. Not many areas feature as much of this innovation as the area of web development. Developers are always looking ahead to discover new technologies that can catapult them to a brighter future. For many companies, keeping up with these developments can prove to be a problem." - Olawale Issa, Founder of SkyFig Technologies, Nigeria
The survey was not limited to any geographical region or country and its main target was the global community of IT companies and web agencies that specialized in web development services. As such, survey respondents come from 912 different companies located in 49 countries across the globe. On this occasion, TechBehemoths is proudly announcing and crediting the list of partner companies that helped spreading the word and gathering answers for this survey:
- Esokia, Mauritius, France - http://esokia.com
- Yield Interactive, India - https://www.yi3ld.com
- Percepto, Israel - https://percepto-digital.com/
- i4 Asia Incorporated, Philippines - www.i4asiacorp.com
- South Coast Digital Marketing, Australia - southcoastdigitalmarketing.com.au
- Angelo Montini Web Solutions, Italy - https://montini.solutions/
- Dunp, Italy - https://www.dunp.it
- NCompas Ltd., The United Kingdom - https://www.ncompass.co.uk
- Cognegiac Solutions Pvt. Ltd., India - https://www.cognegiac.com/
- Seo Samba, United States - https://www.seosamba.com/
- The Digital Marketing People, Canada - https://digitalmarketingpeople.ca
- Marvill Web Development, Philippines - marvill.com
- NSquareIT, India - https://nsquareit.com/
- Si3 Digital, United Arab Emirates - https://www.si3.ae
- MARSWorks, Canada - https://www.marsworks.com
- Story Collaborative, United States - story-collaborative.com
- Nacionalvox, Brasil - www.nacionalvox.com.br
- The Creative Collective, Australia - thecreativecollective.com.au
- Ansi ByteCode LLP, India - https://ansibytecode.com
- Bluewebmedia IT Services Pvt Ltd, India - https://www.bluwebmedia.co.in
- Ehmial, United States - ehmiat.com
- Wollow, Bulgaria - https://wollow-soft.com/
- Triare, Ukraine - https://triare.net/
- TechDoodles, India - www.techdoodles.com
- AVS Solutions, Serbia - https://avssolutions.rs/
- Media One Software Solutions, Philippines - mediaoneph.com
- Libnamic, Spain - https://libnamic.com
- The One Technologies, India - https://theonetechnologies.com/
- Ideo Software, Poland - https://www.ideosoftware.com/
- HUSPI, Poland - https://huspi.com
- Betlace, Ukraine - betlace.com
- Digital 4 Africa, Kenya - https://digital4africa.com
- Evolve Media, United States - www.evolvemedia.com
- Byteout Software, Serbia - https://www.byteout.com
- theAd, Australia -www.thead.com.au
- Seasia Infotech, USA - https://www.seasiainfotech.com/
- Naturality Digital - Italy, Switzerland, China - www.naturality.io
- EPICS For Business Soultions, Iraq - Www.epics-iq.com
- Concordsoft, Serbia - https://www.concordsoft.solutions/
- Digital Crew, India - www.digitalcrew.co.in
- Zovo Team, Bangladesh - www.Zovoteam.com
- Sitemile, Romania - sitemile.com
- Conversionspree, USA - https://conversionspree.com
- Revival Pixel, India - https://revivalpixel.com/
- Siegpartners, India - www.siegpartners.com
- NBW Internet Wizards, Grece - https://nbw.gr
- Jaydevs UAB, Lithuania - https://jaydevs.com/
- Market Media Connect, USA - https://marketmediaconnect.com/
- White, India - webgranth.com
- Envision Webier Technologies, India - https://www.webiertechnologies.com
- AHV Consultancy, India - www.ahvcs.com
- Rocket Minds, The Netherlands - rminds.nl
- Cosmico Studios, USA - www.cosmicostudios.com
- Focus Agency Ghana - Focusagencyghana.com
- Direlli, Armenia - www.direlli.com
- Innovation Group S.A. - www.inovatis.com.py
- SkyFig Technologies, Nigeria - https://skyfigtech.com
- Fronstpace, The Netherlands - www.frontspace.nl
- Lexunit, Hungary - https://lexunit.hu/en/
- Vodjo, Indonesia - https://www.vodjo.com
- Bitsens, Lithuania - www.bitsens.com
- Develop Way, Armenia - https://www.developway.org/
- Minovative Technologies Pvt. Ltd., India - https://www.minovative.com
- Buzzlinks Studios, India - https://buzzlinkstudios.com/
- Breakpoint Info Solution, India - https://breakpointsoft.com/
- Studio Up, Italy - www.studioup.it
- kV Marketing, Colombia - www.kvmarketing.co
- dinkbit, Mexico/Spain - dinkbit.com
- E-Vision, United States - evisionatlanta.com
- Merixstudio, Poland - www.merixstudio.com
- Compu-Vision, Lebanon - www.compu-vision.me
- Dexoc Solutions, India - https://dexoc.com
- Ingsoftware, Serbia- www.ingsoftware.com
- CodeRiders, Armenia - www.coderiders.am
- Nextly, Brazil - nextly.team
- Zuzex, Russia - https://zuzex.com
- Maven Infotech, India - https://www.maven-infotech.com/
- Mobmaxime, India - https://www.mobmaxime.com/
- Bartonova, Czechia - https://bartonova.solutions
- Codaxy, Bosnia & Herzegovina - https://www.codaxy.com/
- AFIVE Digital Agency, Germany/Ukraine - https://afive.agency
- JetRockets, USA/Georgia - https://jetrockets.com/
- tagDiv, Romania - tagdiv.com
- Sullivan+Wolf Design LLC, United States - www.sullivanandwolf.com
- Pragmatic Coders, Poland - pragmaticcoders.com
- Rise Marketing, United States - https://rise.co
- Solid Digital, United States - www.soliddigital.com
- Lovage Inc., United States - lovageinc.com
- PragICTS, Sri Lanka - https://pragicts.com
- Sky Quest, Pakistan - https://www.skyquestcorp.com
- JS Tigers, India - https://www.jstigers.com
- VeryCreatives, Hungary - https://verycreatives.com/
- Twelvedevs, Poland - https://twelvedevs.com/
- Suncode IT Solutions, Iraq - https://suncode.co
- Digismashers, India - Digismashers.com
- SoftCodeOn, Pakistan - https://softcodeon.com
- Closeloop Technologies, United States - https://closeloop.com/
- Ideo Solutions AS, Norway - https://www.ideosolutions.no/
- Buzzvel, Portugal - https://Buzzvel.com
- Clickconsult, Nigeria - https://clikconsult.com.ng
- Alea IT Solutions, India - https://www.aleaitsolutions.com/
- Moyat, Ethiopia - http://mooyats.com/
- Gurzu Inc., United States/Nepal - https://gurzu.com
- Netizens, Sp. z.o.o, Poland - https://www.netizens.pl/
- Mindgigspk, Pakistan - mindgigspk.com
- INOVA, Albania - https://inova.al/
- Advance Azerbaijan, Azerbaijan - https://www.advance.az/
- Presitely, Bulgaria - presitely.com
- UrbanMedia Solutions, India - https://urbanmediasolution.com
- Lizard Global, Malaysia - www.lizard.global
- Eagle IT Solutions, North Macedonia - https://eagle.mk/
- Proweb, Armenia - https://proweb.am/
- Binmile, United States - https://binmile.com/
- Magora, United States/United Kingdom/Australia - https://magora-systems.com